Thursday, July 5, 2012

WHY AM I STILL SINGLE ?



It is the number one question that singles get asked, especially if you are over the age of 30: why are you still single? It has many variations, sometimes phrased as a comment, rather than a question – “I can’t believe a nice girl/guy like you is still single,” followed by the more direct and probing: “When do you think you’ll get married? “As mature singles, we ask the exact same question –but not to each other. Rather, we ask ourselves in times of loneliness or frustration: “Why am I still single?”






Most of us have a timeline in which we expect or want to be married with a family. Thirty tends to be that magic number. For some, it may be 25, but 30 is definitely a marker on the far end of the map.
To be single, over 30, and a woman is not as big of a stigma as it was in years past. But it can still weigh on one’s mind. When I am asked that inevitable question, a few things pop into my mind.
Question: Why are you still single?
Answer: I don’t know – maybe you should ask my ex’s.
Question: Would you like me to fix you up with someone?
Answer: Why do I need to be fixed up? Am I broken?
Question: Don’t you feel your biological clock ticking?
Answer: I am not sure about that, but I suddenly feel a sharp pain in my rear end.


 

It really isn’t a joke. We are all so busy these days with advanced education, careers, social causes, hobbies and activities, and a variety of other distractions to occupy our time, which the void left by not having a significant other, really isn’t all that significant after all. Yet there is always a part of a single person that worries he or she will never find lasting love. Being continually faced with questions that are awkward at best, and insensitive at worst, does not help single people feel comfortable with who they are.


Whenever I am faced with this question, find below what I say to myself …..

I am single because I know what I want: You might be still single because you are looking for the best and you don’t want to settle for average or even above average choices. People settle for incorrect choices just to get into a relationship which is something that ruins the relationship later on.
I am still single because I am confident: Some people are still single because their expectations of themselves is so high and so they believe they deserve someone who is at least, as elite as them, and those people are rare (according to their own point of view)
I might have fans even though I am still single: You might have caught the attention of many but few or almost no one caught your attention and that's the reason why you are still single.
I am still single because I am not desperate: You might be single because is that you never chase anybody even if you like him and this might make the other person believe that you don’t want him.
I am  still single because of over confidence: The reason you might be still single is that whenever you meet someone who is really good you think that you can do can do better
I am  still single because I am really strong: You might be still single at your 30s or 40s because you don’t care at all about people's opinion and about those who wonder why are you still single as you know that you are elite with disregard to the opinion of others if they believe other wise
STAY THERE AND BE MAKING EXCUSES WHEN YOUR MATES ARE GETTING MARRIED EVERY SATURDAY.
 WINK WINK …………………….



      

6 comments:

  1. Foluso you are a case and i reserve ma comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omolara Dad-AdemolaJuly 5, 2012 at 4:08 PM

    Uhmmmmmmmm!
    All i can say is that the lord answer all our prayer at the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TJ, its better u dont say anything .
    Omolara, you are correct . I say Amen to that

    ReplyDelete
  4. i sometimes wonder, and ask myself some questions ie what have i been doing all this time? what happened to that lady that i dated for a few months? is she really that bad or i rushed into that relationship? with the benefit of hindsight would i had made some of those decisions i made in the past?hhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm.
    it can only get better if i can wait till now, i'll rather get it right! gbam.

    ReplyDelete