Thursday, August 23, 2012

DO ALL MEN CHEAT ?


 I've been with my boyfriend for 5years .We've been 2gether since we were 21 ( if u calculate my age , u r on your own ) and I  KNOW for a fact he has not been faithful for ALL the 5 years,there is no way. I have never fought him for not picking up his calls , girls calling him , coming home late, etc. But in the back of my head, I feel like there is no way he could have been faithful and this smooth all these years . Can I be wrong or right ? 


I cannot begin to tell you how many women TRULY believe their men will cheat or are already cheating. A lot of women have resolved in their hearts that the man they married will cheat because “men are wired to cheat”. A lot of single women in these parts – Nigeria to be precise – have checked the “he will cheat” box on their list . They believe that any woman who doesn’t think her husband will cheat is simply naïve. With the stories they’ve heard and the things they’ve witnessed, to them it is an accepted fact that husbands cheat. Period.

Some guys upset when women generalize and categorize men as all being the same. They say it’s unfair, which is true. Some of them believe that the more you tell your man that you know he will cheat or say it in his hearing, the higher the chances that he actually WILL cheat even if he typically isn't that kind of guy. The reason? The Self-Fulfilling Prophecy. Your belief that he will cheat will affect your attitude towards him, which can actually make him cheat. I think then it’s better to tell him how much you trust him (and mean it) because that will strengthen him. 
I will say that, despite the fact that I tend to be a very trusting person once I get into a relationship, the doubts are there. Now, I’ve never been the chick that checks a guy’s phone or wants to know his email or Facebook password, mostly because I have always believed that a woman’s intuition will tell her everything she needs to know about her man.  But I have a lot of friends who would legitimately answer the title question with a resounding “yes.” They wouldn’t think twice about it, in fact. And they worry that they’ll meet a guy, fall in love with him and find out that he’s cheating on them. And unfortunately, I’m not much help in trying to convince them otherwise, because as much as I would like to believe it’s not true, the more that I think about it, I can’t name 10 men that I know who haven’t cheated. Can you? and I know a lot of men, between friends and family members.

 
Was it as simple as a checklist that women did in their heads and then replayed with their girls, thus creating the stereotype? You know the list… Have you ever been cheated on? Yep. Has your girl ever been cheated on? Yep. What about your aunts? Uh huh. Your female cousins? Sure have. Your sisters? Yep. Do you know men who’ve cheated? Sure do. Do you know men who haven’t cheated? hmmm… and the more these questions are answered, the greater the story becomes.  it feels that every man has cheated?
I don’t know – I really don’t. But maybe that’s not the right question to ask anyway. Maybe, the more important question isn’t whether or not all men cheat, but whether or not you believe the guy you’re with will cheat on you because he cheated on someone else. We’re always quick to say things like, “once a cheater, always a cheater,” but is that really true? Or is there some hope that when two healthy people find each other and make a commitment to each other, both people will honor that commitment, despite and maybe because of some of the things they’ve done in their past?


2 comments:

  1. Well I don't think all men cheat and let's not forget women cheat too but dats not d topic at hand. I always want to believe dat d kind of man a woman wants is what she gets. If a woman takes a man from another woman, surely dat man will cheat on her. Another thing I wud like to ask women is y must dey become so cosy with a man after only two weeks or a month of knowing him and y do they fall for the trick of giving the man sex to show u love him? The real pple who cheat on themselves r women. Knw wat u want and wat u stand for and u will get a guy who doesn't cheat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pholusaw, all men don't cheat although the percentage may be low.All it takes for a man to be faithful to his woman is a commitment to her, understanding the grace he enjoys by being her man and most importantly the fear of God.

    ReplyDelete